Dental Extractions in Staten Island
We offer expert dental extractions from our dentists. In complicated cases you will be referred to our in-house periodontist and oral surgeon.
Teeth may be extracted if:
- Tooth decay has caused extensive tooth damage and cavity
- Gum infection is present with signs of oral disease, such as periodontitis and caries
- A tooth is broken and not suitable for tooth restoration
- An impacted wisdom tooth is unhealthy
- Dental implants with artificial teeth replacement, bridges, crowns or dentures are healthier
- A patient chooses and consents to this treatment option
When teeth are decayed, infected or broken, the affected individual may suffer mild to severe symptoms of pain in the mouth and face. Persistent toothache may prompt a patient to request tooth extraction. Healthy impacted wisdom teeth may also suddenly present complications requiring wisdom tooth extraction.
Urgent Dental Care and Tooth Extraction
Dentists provide access to 24 hour emergency care for urgent dental treatment, including tooth extraction. However, dentists attempt to preserve natural oral structures through treatment such as root canal treatment, to rid the tooth roots of infection and restore existing teeth damaged by infection.
In the event that the infection persists, even with tooth restorations, dental extraction may be an option to remove the threat of future infection, which may otherwise lead to future bone loss.
Tooth Extraction and Treatment Options
Patients have a range of treatment options to consider in replacing missing teeth that extracted due to ill health. Treatment options include:
- Bridge anchored to dental crowns on either or one side of the missing tooth
- Temporary, partial or full dentures with choices in flexible and acrylic dentures
- Dental implants to replace missing tooth roots and secure either crowns, bridges or dentures in place
- Orthodontic care to improve bite function
- Cosmetic dentistry combination of treatments
Although leaving a missing tooth gap is an option it is not recommended. It can cause shrinkage to bone and dental structures affecting healthy bite function and appearance. Some patients opt for a combination of dentistry and cosmetic dentistry treatments once teeth are removed.